Table of contents
Information and communication technology place a vital role to promoting the teaching and learning activities. Social media plays a vital role in delivering informations and issues instantaneously. It increases the helping tendency among the people. Such as face book, twitter etc., it may defined as digital device, tools and resources. In social media a lot of improvements along with our new technologies and instruments for better understanding.
Every good teacher is able to establish her own model of teaching in the course of her life span of teaching. Teaching is a process in which usually takes class in the classroom only. They were giving some knowledge, passing some information to them making the students acquire some skill and changing their attitude. Learning is a life long process and the acquisition of knowledge or skill through study, experience or being taught.
What is Social Media
Social Media can be an effective tool for teaching and learning in higher education. It can help connect students to information and help them generate a dialogue with their teacher and other students about a course. It can also help students and faculty build professional networks that connect them.
Social Media refers to website and computer programme that makes communications. It teaches the user in variety of internet applications. Today it is possible to interact with people on a daily basis. People chat, exchange jokes and learn more about each other. They exchange photographs and videos. Students using digital learning tools and technology become more engaged in the process and more interested in growing their knowledge base.
Social networking sites appeared, blending functionality of bulletin boards with personal profiles and immediate messaging tools, learners were prior embracers using the sites to reunite with friends and maintaining existing friendship and to prove personal support networks. Friends increased the objectives of what these spaces could do, and when Facebook started, learners were willing to experiment, interact, and share their networks online. Librarians and educators followed learners into these spaces, sharing practical instruction and trying other forms of engagement The use of tools and technologies like YouTube, Twitter, Blogs, Wikis and Facebook, are used for teaching in higher institutions. Learners remain leaders of the adoption curve of social media users in different higher institution groups. Most notably, Marc Prensky 2001 attributed this to generational factors, students are extremely stimulated bounding with friends and social groups.
Media of communication:
Print Media: means of mass communication in the form of printed publications such as newspaper, magazines.
Electronic Media: Electronic media include television, radio, internet, fax, C.D, D.V.D. It requires electricity or digital encoding for information. It is also known as “Broadcast Media”.
a. Radio: Education purposes were tested in 1924. The radio programme for the schools become very popular with A.I.Radio, B.B.C radio programming during the period 1970’s.
- To introduce new lesson
- To present all complete lesson
- To solve major problems occurring in a lesson.
Radio lost its value with the boom of television till date radio is one of the favourite means of communication.
b. Television: Television appeals both auditory and visual senses and hence it is an important communication device. For many people it is impossible to imagine a life without t.v. First it offers various information and programmes.
New Age Media
Mobile phones, computers, Internet are referred to as new media. Internet has opened up several new chances for mass communication which include email, website e-forum, e-book, blogging, internet T.V and many other are booming today, Social cites have many communication to the user.
- Computer: With the invention of computers the impossible become possible we virtually get information about everything. It has added speed and multimedia to the information first we have received only in the print format. Now anyone can voice their opinion through computer.
- Internet: Discovery of Internet can be called as the biggest invention on mass media. In earlier news use to read the newspaper only in the morning. But today live updates reach as simultaneously as the events unfold. Internet has inspired interaction and connectivity through its social marketing medium.
Social Media in teaching and learning
- Email: Electronic mails have drastically reduced the time it took for drafting and sending letters or mails. It helps to reduce usage of papers.
- Website: Website is also providing information, search engines, downloads through libraries and interaction through social networking sites. The World Wide Web was invented social networking sites. The world wide web was invented by Tim bernes Leein 1989. It is an attempt to store research data art CERN. The WWW systems allows hypertext to line files on different computers.
- Podcasts: Medium of mass communication that include short video or audio files on different computers and portable media instruments.
- E-books, E-magazines, E-Journals: There are n number of websites which have hosted e-books and online libraries. We don’t have to carry bulky books. We can read at anytime anywhere.
- Blogging: A blog is a space on the internet where a single person or a group of people record their information, option, photos etc. It is an interesting platform to talk about any topic.
- Face book: It’s a popular social networking site. Several applications which people utilize. It is the best platform to meet old friends or make new ones. Advertisers also like this forum for communicating about their products.
- Twitter: It is also famous social networking website. Twitter is a micro blogging site which allows interaction and feed back of different people.
- Whatsapp: Whatsapp messenger is a proprietary cross platform encrypted, instant messaging, and client for smart phones. It uses the internet to send text messages, documents, images and video. It’s used for learning and teaching to the students. It contains general knowledge.
- YouTube: Upload content in video formats, from films to educational videos, you will find everything on YouTube. It communicates via visual representation.
- It helps to creating interest and involvement among the teacher and pupils.
- Students develop their skills and gains some knowledge.
- It attracts the pupil easily.
Social Media plays vital role in now-a-days. People’s eager to learn through media. It is very effective learning. We can help anybody from anywhere through the technology through the web search engines accessibility of this material. Groupware allows synchronous communication between teachers and students.
Cite this Essay
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below