Table of contents
- The History Behind the Holiday
- How to Get Your Free Fries on National French Fry Day
- How Americans Will Celebrate in 2023
French fries are a beloved side dish that is enjoyed around the world. Who doesn't love a serving of hot, crispy fries with their burger or chicken sandwich? That's why every year on July 13th, people celebrate National French Fry Day. This food holiday celebrates the scrumptious simplicity of the fried potato.
The History Behind the Holiday
The origins of National French Fry Day are unclear, but it has become an unofficial food holiday in the United States. While the exact date is unknown, it seems fitting that it falls in July. July is right in the middle of summer, which is optimal fry-eating weather. The holiday also falls close to July 4th, when copious amounts of cookouts and fries are consumed.
The story behind the french fry itself is quite fascinating. Some records show that potatoes were fried in France as early as the 1700s. Thomas Jefferson is credited with introducing fried potatoes to America after serving them at a White House dinner. Fries became popular in the U.S. in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Fast food chains like McDonald's boosted their popularity in the 1960s and beyond. Since then, french fries have become one of America's favorite foods.
How to Get Your Free Fries on National French Fry Day
Several restaurants offer special deals and free fries on National French Fry Day 2023. Here are some of the best places to get your free fry fix:
- McDonald's - Download their app and keep an eye out for a free medium fries offer in July. They often provide free fries on this holiday.
- Burger King - Members of the Royal Perks rewards program can get free fry promotions throughout the year. Check on July 13th to see if they are giving away fries.
- TGI Fridays - Sign up for their email list to get special coupon codes. They have previously given free fries on National French Fry Day with the purchase of an entree.
- Wendy's - Wendy's offered free fries with any purchase on this holiday in past years. Check their social media or app for 2023 freebies.
- Arby's - This chain is known for its curly fries and sometimes hands them out for free on this food holiday.
- Jack in the Box - Jack in the Box offered free fries through their app on National French Fry Day in the past. Download the app and check for 2023 deals.
- Long John Silver's - Known for their wedge-shaped crispy fries, they may run app specials giving free or discounted fries on July 13.
Be sure to check smaller local restaurants too. Many diners, drive-ins, and other restaurants enjoy celebrating food holidays by giving customers specials. Calling ahead to ask never hurts!
How Americans Will Celebrate in 2023
In 2023, National French Fry Day falls on a Thursday. Expect to see big participation as the holiday hits right in the middle of the typical work week. Restaurants will likely see large crowds and big takeout orders as people stop to enjoy a serving of fries. Social media will also light up with foodies posting photos and selfies showcasing their National French Fry Day treats.
Hashtags like #NationalFrenchFryDay and #FrenchFryDay will spread on Instagram and Twitter. Food bloggers and online influencers may post National French Fry Day content to highlight favorite fry recipes or restaurant offerings. Companies like McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King will run national campaigns on the holiday to promote fry sales.
Many Americans will simply celebrate at home by whipping up their own french fries. Hand cut or frozen, thick wedges or thin strands, baked or fried - any type of potato fry will do! Fries topped with cheese, chili, bacon and more will be a popular meal for home celebrations.
No matter how you choose to enjoy them, be sure to grab your fries and indulge on National French Fry Day 2023. The beloved fried side deserves its moment in the spotlight!
Cite this Essay
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below